Kettlebells are one of the most underrated pieces of workout equipment around. They can be added to almost any type of workout and is a great way to progress the workout. Here are a few exercises to try with a kettlebell:
1. The Swing – a lot of people do this exercise incorrectly; take a look back at our blog on kettlebell swings to learn the correct way!
2. Squats – Goblet squats, squats with a single-arm shoulder press, jump squats – there are many different ways to do this with a kettlebell!
3. Bilateral Row - Grab two kettlebells. Place them in front of the feet and bend the knees slightly. Bend over to grab both kettlebells and pull them towards the stomach, keeping the elbows close to the body and the back straight.
4. Lunges – Maybe lunges are too easy for you and you want some challenge, try them with a kettlebell, or two! Have one kettlebell will challenge your balance, while two will push your strength. If you mastered that and want to progress even further, try alternating legs with the kettlebell elevated above your head.
5. Crunches and “Cherry Pickers” – Try using a kettlebell with crunches to add more resistance. “Cherry Pickers” are doing a crunch with alternating twisting to each side every time.
By: Becca Popma
Steve Bartz, PT