At some point in our lives, we all have to sit at a desk. We all know it can cause a lot of damage to our bodies, so here are some ways to reduce the damage and make working from a desk more comfortable:
• Keep your monitor at an arm’s length away (approximately 19 inches)
• Follow the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes of staring at your computer screen, spend 20 seconds looking at something at least 20 feet away! This will give your eyes a break
• Adjust chair height so knees are about level with hips
• Keep your hips as far back in the chair as possible, to give you low back support
• Keep your wrists straight, with your hands at or below elbow level
• Keep objects you use a lot, such as your phone, stapler, tape, etc. close to your body to avoid reaching
• Wear a headset or have your phone on speaker so you don’t strain your neck
• Stand up and walk or stretch every hour - it does not need to be for long, just to get your body out of the sitting position and move a bit
All of these little adjustments can help you feel better if you’re stuck at your desk! If you have access to a standing desk, that can also be a great alternative to sitting, or you can switch between the two while you're working.
If you are currently experiencing any pain at work, we might be able to help!
Give us a call at 616-662-0990!
By: Rebecca Popma
& Lisa Bartz
Steve Bartz, PT